Bring man’s best friend abroad with extensive pet insurance from Ibex

Bring man’s best friend abroad with extensive pet insurance from Ibex Image

November 28, 2016

The most common misconception about insurance policies is that they’re needlessly complicated and difficult to set up. Pets are a particular concern; many people want to bring their furry friends with them when they move abroad, but worry that something bad might happen to them once they arrive.

Once you and your pets have landed in Spain, Portugal or Gibraltar, Ibex Insurance can keep them covered against all worst-case scenarios with our comprehensive pet insurance.

However, there are still a few things to bear in mind when you bring your pets abroad to make sure you don’t get into any trouble with the local authorities.

What should you do before you leave?

When you are travelling with your pets across the continent, you should ensure that you have a special pet passport to grant them entry into EU countries. This pet passport system works for cats and dogs.

Spain, for example, requires that any cat or dog you bring into the country is vaccinated against rabies at least 21 days before travelling abroad. Portugal and Gibraltar have the same rule, but Gibraltar asks that you have them vaccinated at least 28 days before travel.

Although we can cover very young cats and dogs, Gibraltar strictly forbids entry to those that are four months old or younger.

What do our policies cover?

We offer a policy that will insure you against the loss of your pet passport or health certificate so that you aren’t left helpless. We can protect cats and dogs as young as eight weeks old, so even your puppies and kittens can enjoy a change of scenery.

Our insurance covers any veterinary costs for illness and injury that occur while you’re abroad. We will also compensate you if your pet is stolen or lost. Hopefully, we won’t ever have to, but we will also compensate you if your pet were to die due to an accident.

Choose Ibex for your expatriate insurance needs

We don’t just specialise in covering you when you bring your pets overseas, as we offer a much wider variety of comprehensive insurance policies to keep you fully covered during your stay abroad.

We offer everything from home, health and travel insurance to vehicle and business cover and provide a clear-cut breakdown of everything we’re providing to you in a language that you can understand.

Would you like to learn more about obtaining expat insurance in Spain, Portugal or Gibraltar? Call us now on one of our dedicated hotlines to speak to a member of the Ibex Insurance Services team and receive the most helpful advice.

Call Me Back