We can protect you from claims made by a client for professional negligence or errors made in the work you have done for them.
These mistakes can cost clients time and money, and they may choose to take legal action against you to recover their costs. Professional indemnity insurance pays the legal costs in defending you, as well as any compensation payments that may be due to your client as a result of your mistake.
It’s worth bearing in mind that even if you’ve done nothing wrong and a client makes an unfounded or spurious claim against you, it can cost significant sums of money to defend yourself. Professional indemnity insurance can cover you against such scenarios.
Getting professional indemnity insurance in Spain, Gibraltar or Portugal is important to ensure that you are covered if you are sued by a client when you provide advice, designs or professional services. In fact, it is a requirement of some membership bodies and regulators - if you’re a self-employed solicitor, financial adviser, accountant, or architect, for example.
Professional indemnity insurance can also cover the cost of your legal defence, compensation payments, any additional costs for rectifying an issue and loss of income as a result of the claim.
- Cost of legal defence
- Compensation payments following:
- Professional negligence; making a mistake in a piece of work for a client or giving them poor advice
- Unintentional breach of copyright; such as using an image on your website without permission
- Unintentional breach of confidentiality; such as accidentally sharing sensitive client information without permission
- Loss of documents or data
- Defamation or libel; such as making false comments about a competitor or client that damage their reputation
- Additional costs for rectifying an issue
- Loss of income as a result of the claim
Who should get Professional Indemnity Insurance?
- Business and management consultants
- IT contractors and consultants
- Technical and engineering contractors and architects
- Creative and marketing professionals, including web designers, graphic designers, marketing consultants and photographers/videographers design engineers
- Teachers, tutors, instructors and trainers
- Accountants, surveyors, architects and more
For example, if your architecture firm made a mistake in plans and a building collapsed as a result, you could face a compensation claim.
Or if your media agency misprinted an advert for a client with the incorrect details, or your recruitment business accidentally forwarded on confidential client information, or your consultancy agency offered a client advice that led to them making a financial loss.
Our professional indemnity insurance will provide you with comprehensive protection against claims, so if a piece of work for a client doesn't go to plan, you'll have the peace of mind that you're covered.